Friday, April 12, 2013

Female Empowerment?

Blog post I started a year ago and finished today...

Hey everyone, (I really have to stop using the plural... wishful thinking)

I would have never guessed that working as a strategic tutor would open my eyes to so many things that are wrong with the world and my perception of it. So that being said lets get to the meat of this wonderful blog. Until very recently I had been on this supposed "I'm a woman and I'm ok with it" kick; which means that I had finally come to terms with what the Latino (religious inspired) culture had established the place for women was.  Thanks to my female students I have had a change of heart.

I assume that what I was referring to was being comfortable with being a feminine woman. What I mean by that is being ok with liking makeup and heels and all things (most things) girlie. I served in a bilingual high school classroom with students that had spent less than three years living in the U.S. and were heavily influenced by the media. What I liked was that even at that age they were comfortable with who they were.

I had decided to go natural that year and still struggled with it. I straightened  my hair so that kids would respect me and sometimes I would wear makeup. I had conversations with my co-workers on how wearing makeup was not making me be a conformist but how I was actually being who I wanted to be. My Latina mentoring group proved me wrong.

They were much more courageous than I was. They owned their quirkiness, their individuality and their weaknesses. They were strong because they were weak. They cried because they didn't understand why people always tried to change who they wanted to be. They fought because they wanted the choice to be original and they rocked my world.

Before them, I made changes in my appearance because I wanted to be accepted; after them, I made changes in my appearance because I wanted the world to accept them. A year later I am the girl with the big Afro who students instantly recognize. I wear what I like when I like and I'm never less than a feminine woman for doing so. The best feeling in the world is having your students recognize their own power and knowing that you are their example. I loved the first time I heard "I don't have to do anything I don't want, Ms. Paola does not do it!"

Now instead of  being on my "I'm a woman and ok with it" kick, I am empowered to be me which is much more than just a woman. Thank you to "The Originals," for making this happen. You are stronger than you know.

Never let it be said that a modern mind cannot finish a vintage thought ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment